Friday, February 8, 2008

Look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's a cloud

Or, how mountains make thier own weather.

I am not a meteorologist, and I don’t play one on TV, I’m not even a geomorphologist, I don’t play one of those on TV either ;). I am just a lowly hard rock geologist, working in the geothermal energy field (on occasion, I do work with soft rocks too, nothing personal to anyone, but I seem to have less respect for a rock that’s called soft). Insofar that both disciplines are both earth sciences, I do enjoy dabbling in them, and I understand the principia majora behind both. One of the things I get the pleasure of witnessing out here in the west, is a blatant combination of the two, a nifty little things called uplift and the formation of standing waves make for some interesting clouds, the neatest is the lenticular cloud formations, or just some general uplift and cooling effects. Here in the basin and range these responses can be viewed easily because of the separation of the ranges.










No comments: