Thursday, October 18, 2007

(cliche alert) There's a fungus among us


I'm not a mycologist, never have been a mycologist, I don't even play one on TV. On the other hand, I am fascinated by science, fungi are one of the things that I do enjoy (eating and looking at) the morphology and colors can be quite varied and fascinating, here is a fungus that is growing on an old stump in front of my house, some kind of (shelf?) fungus, don't know which, that grows quite large, the first pic will give you scale, the second shows the other expressions occurring on the stump, due to the nature of fungi, there is a real possibility that these are actually all expressions of one organism living in/on/under the stump (not sure of the tree type, but i think it was either a cotton wood or a maple that was growing way too close to the foundation, and the land owner about three years ago cut it down, I spent the intervening time trying to kill it, as it would send up new starts from the rim and roots (does that help identify it to anyone? if i was smart, I would have looked up they type of tree from the leaves, hind sight is 20/20)

No comments: